Following Spoken Instructions and Directions
Use the What’s wrong with Mr. Bing Ding Dong worksheet for your next task.
In this task we will be training the children to develop their effective listening skill and sharpening their talents for classroom listening for effective learning. They will:
- learn to attend for longer periods of time and reduce their impulsivity to chat, look around the room, drift off or think of something else whilst they should be learning
- learn new concepts and vocabulary that include: colour, shape, size, direction, prepositions (space words)
- learn syntactic markers that change the meaning in a sentence such as: if, then, don’t, before-after
- learn to listen to specific details in the sentence for accuracy in their answers
- learn to be able to be able to hold 2+ stages of spoken information in their auditory memory
Example: Week 1: Following verbal instructions- Here I have provided an example of some instructions you can give them. Now try and make up your own for the tasks in the following weeks.
You will need:
- Coloured textas
- Your genie gems
To indicate that they have finished the tasks at each step, you can instruct your child to place their hands on their head or you can create a pretend buzzer using an upside-down cup that they press. I love the empty stapler being the buzzer as well as a novel idea!
- Choosing a red texta, draw a straight line underneath the front wheel.
- Choosing a texta that is NOT blue, colour in the runners shirt and one of his shoes.
- Place a genie gem to the left of the picture and draw a circle around the rabbit’s ears.
- If there is a policeman on the train, draw a dotted line under the train track.
- If there is a cook on the train, draw two circles on the plane tail.
- If your name begins with A-B-C or D, colour in two back wheels in yellow or green.
- Don’t colour in the cook’s hat unless the smoke is blowing in the direction behind the train.
- Using a texta that is not orange or brown, draw a curved arc over the runner.
- Give me a texta that we have not chosen yet before you draw a green cross on the trains door.
- Draw a smiley face on the wing of the plane after you draw a tree in front of the runner.
We will be completing some of these tasks during our CLUB YAK sessions and you can complete the other tasks for home activities each week. Tick off the tasks when completed from the form in your program folders.